Tuesday, June 5, 2012

House guests.

Whew! What a fabulous start to summer we've had! Over the weekend, we entertained a couple house guests in La Casa Darcy. My mama drove the twelve hour journey from The Sunshine State to bring the brothers back to Nash for their summer tour. Arriving the very next day, one of Jon's best dudes from Fort Myers flew in, accompanied by all his style and personality. We only had a few days to shower my Mom with love and make Matt fall in love with our city, so we crammed in a lot of action. With Mama in the guest room and Matt on the sleeper couch downstairs, we've had an eventful (and almost mini-vaca for us, really) past couple of days!

Here's a recap:

Before hitting the road, Mom, Park, Jo, and I spent the day at the renovated Opry Mills Mall. This was the first time I'd been there since the flood, and it was beautiful! I mean, who doesn't love a mall with a Which Wich in its food court?

That night, I dined with my girls at Cabana as we celebrated the soon-to-be Mrs. Jonathan Moore. (Sometimes you just need a girls' night out, amen?)



Dudes vs Girls: Jon & Matt spent the day doing who-knows what Mom & I spent the day together. I believe the guys ate at McDougals, went to Jon's work, went hoopin' at the gym...Mom & laid in bed talking, you know, solving the world's problems. Then we went shopping, something we do best, and enjoyed lunch at our fave spot, The Puffy Muffin.


We met the dudes, my brothers included, at SATCO for dinner and a little b-ball. The Heat were playing, and although they produced a game ending in more embarrassment than jubilation, it had to be witnessed.


We cooked breakfast to feed an army at our house the next day. If you haven't picked up on this yet, my hubs is quite the Emeril. When it comes to breakfast, I'm more so his sous chef than anything. It was delish!

With full bellies, we went our separate ways: Mama went to see her Mama, and the guys & I headed to downtown Nashvegs. Afterall, we only had a couple days to make Matt fall in love with our city in hoped he'll move here one day.


We drove around the city, playing "tour guides" and showing Matt our favorite Nash spots. 


 This included a shopping spree at Urban Outfitters...oh-em-word, now I remember why I don't go there very often...I wanted to purchase everything.




Fighting traffic the entire way, we headed to the sweetest part of our weekend - celebrating the marriage of our good friends, Danielle and Jonathan Moore. 
(See below for a photo of the stunning bride and groom.) 


(Ohhhh... my husband is sooooo handsome!!!)


We love you guys, and we were honored to be a part of your big day!



After the beautiful wedding, we just couldn't help ourselves. The weather was absolutely perfect, and we wanted a spot to chill outside. We took Matt to one of our Hillsboro Village spots - Jacksons.


Sunday morning we had an awesome service at church. It was so great to sit in between my Mama and my husband in church. Of course we were the last ones to leave, as everyone was sooo welcoming to our guests. 

Matt requested some hole-in-the-wall Nashvillians-only-eat-here type restaurant. So we took him to Martin's Bar-B-Que in Nolensville. We smelled like BBQ smoke for the entirety of the day, but it was soooo worth it.


With happy hearts and full bellies, the we all crashed once we got home. I mean, this was the definition of "food comas". 

We returned to church to celebrate with Pastor Alan and Mrs. Kim. They fly to Russia this week, and this time they are returning with their three daughters!!!!!!!!!!


Jon took Matt to the airport around 4am. I said goodbye with my eyelids still shut.

As one guest left, another arrived! My mom's twin sister, my Aunt Melinda, drove down from Pennsylvania! Aunt Melinda, Mama, Grandmother, and I sat in my home sipping coffee, eating doughnuts, and just catching up on life. It was one of my favorite moments of the trip- laughing and sharing with the women in my family. And I felt like a big girl hosting this wonderful women in my home.

We took off for lunch at Brick's, and spent the entire day together. That night, Melinda and Mama even came to Jon's church softball game. It was fun for them to visit with long-time friends, so I'll forgive them for sitting on the opposite team's side in order to play catch up. :)

My cousin Kristi and her husband, Michael, met us for milkshakes after the game. They are such a fun couple, and we adore them! Although by this time I was beat and couldn't control the yawns coming out by the minute, we had a great time. 
I treasure my family, and I am so thankful I live close to several of them. 

So, I waved goodbye to my Mama just a few hours ago. 
(No, she didn't leave 4 hours after the planned departure time! And no, that was not the theme of the weekend!)  :)
It felt weird to say goodbye, and I wondered if we'd ever live in the same city again...

I love my Mama. We do things very differently, but we are learning to respect the others' ways. I'm so thankful for the woman she is, and the huge role she has played in my life. This short but oh-so-fun trip was the best way to begin my summer break. And in a couple weeks, we'll do it again...only this time, on the beach!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips